Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This recipe was given to me by my Body Pump instructor (Becky) and it is a simple and delicious soup so thought I would share her recipe.  Below the recipe I will outline my changes and future changes.  

Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 c. diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. margarine
2 cans of low-sodium chicken broth
2 cans of stewed tomatoes in juice
1 small can of green chilies (drained)
1 - 2 cans of black beans, rinsed
1 -2 cans or corn, drained
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can of tomato sauce

Toppings:

low - fat shredded cheese
light sour cream
tortilla strips or chips

Melt margarine in pan.  Saute onion until clear.  Add all ingredients to crock pot.  Cook on medium 6-8 hours.  When ready to serve, add cheese, sour cream and top with tortilla strips.

CHANGES/THOUGHTS

  • I cut this recipe in half as I knew it was going to make a large batch.
  • I used 2 cups chicken I had leftover from baking but you could use a store bought rotisserie chicken.
  • I omitted the green chilies (hubby can no longer tolerate the spice).
  • I used dried cilantro (about 1/2 Tbsp) instead of fresh
  • I used 1 can of beans as I halved the recipe.  I think I would still use just 1 can of beans for a full recipe.
  • I used a cup of fresh corn I froze over the summer.
  • I would use just the 1 can of stewed tomatoes instead of 2.
  • I did put in my crock pot but I cooked on high for 2 hours and then switched to warm.
I hope you take this recipe and tweak it to your own taste.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment