I tried a new recipe on my guys this week. I will confess I was given this recipe several weeks ago by a friend and was apprehensive about giving it a try. She had found it in a magazine and had not yet tried it (although we both thought it sounded like it would be good) I was not sure my guys would go for spaghetti and breakfast foods for supper.
Long about Tuesday I was thinking what could I make for supper that would be different and this recipe just kept popping into my mind. I gathered my courage and decided if the guys did not like it - well there was always leftovers in the fridge.
Surprisingly it ended up being very delicious and the guys ate every bite. It is one I will be adding to my supper rotation.
I will give you the recipe I was given and will share how I will change it up for next time.
BACON AND EGG SPAGHETTI
1 slice while or whole grain brad, torn into pieces
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces dried spaghetti
6 slice bacon
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
4 eggs
Snipped fresh chives (optional)
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
cracked black pepper (optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor combine bread, 1 Tbsp. Parmesan and 1 1/2 tsp olive oil. Cover and process until coarse crumbs form. Spread in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.
I will omit this step entirely when I make it again. I found this mixture to be a bit salty and didn't add anything to the overall flavor of the dish.
In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water.
Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain well on paper towels. Tear bacon into large pieces; set aside. Keep skillet warm reserving 1 to 2 Tbsp of the drippings in the skillet.
In the same large pot used for the pasta cook garlic in remaining 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add salt and crushed red pepper (I omitted red pepper) Add cooked pasta and remaining Parmesan to saucepan. Add enough reserved pasta water to desired consistency; toss to coat.
In the large skillet heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Break eggs into the skillet. Reduce heat to low; cook eggs for 3 to 4 minutes or until desired doneness. (I opted to just scramble the eggs).
Divide spaghetti among 4 plates. Top with bacon and toasted bread crumbs. Serve with eggs. Sprinke with chives, Parmesan cheese, and pepper if desired.
When I make this recipe again I will omit the first step of the crumb mix for sure. I used Kraft grated parmesan cheese and next time I will use real shredded Parmesan cheese. My plate will have the spaghetti, topped with bacon, shredded Parmesan and chopped fresh basil. I will again serve with scrambled eggs.
I encourage you to take this recipe and make it to your taste.

No comments:
Post a Comment